Beach Information on Hilton Head Island
Welcome to Hilton Head Island where we have twelve miles of sun-filled sandy beaches alongside the beautiful Atlantic Ocean and its welcoming waves. Palmetto Sands cordially invites you and your loved ones to visit and experience firsthand the beauty and allure of Hilton Head Island. When you stroll, bike, or swim our award-winning beaches, the sand and surf will beckon you to book a return trip!
Please allow us to share the following Hilton Head Island Beach Information with you as you plan for your visit. On Hilton Head Island, the entire beach is public and maintained for the enjoyment of all. However, unless you are staying in a home or villa with direct oceanfront or beach path access, you may want to take advantage of the following beach access areas provided for your enjoyment and convenience:
- Forest Beach: The Coligny Beach Park is Hilton Head Island's primary beach access and offers restrooms, a children's splash fountain, and a Wi-Fi hot spot. Free Parking is available in the designated public parking lot across the street.
- Shipyard: The beach access for Shipyard Plantation is beside the Sonesta Resort, accessible by bike or you may park in the Shipyard Beach Access Parking Lot with your car pass in your windshield as long as spaces are available.
- Palmetto Dunes: Guests staying within the Palmetto Dunes Plantation may wish to take advantage of the beach access, restrooms, and casual dining available at the Dunes House. Limited on-site parking is offered. You may prefer the courtesy transportation to and from your Palmetto Dunes vacation rental via the Beach Buggy, which can be arranged by calling 843-689-4222.
- Sea Pines: The Sea Pines Beach Club provides beach access, restrooms, and casual dining for all Sea Pines guests. Limited parking is available with your Sea Pines car pass and an additional fee. Alternatively, transportation to the Beach Club is available from the Greenwood Drive and Harbour Town parking lots via the Sea Pines Trolley.
You will find Hilton Head Island Beach Information and Regulations on the Beach Ordinance signs posted at most beach access locations. Please review the items below for Hilton Head Island beach information that may be helpful in preparing for your beach day:
- Fishing: Saltwater fishing regulations require that all shore-based fishermen, resident or tourist, purchase a South Carolina saltwater fishing license. For more information on saltwater fishing in South Carolina, please visit the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources website.
- Tides: The tides on Hilton Head typically range from six to nine feet with two high tides and two low tides in a twenty-four hour period. Low tides expose the hard sand and present the perfect time to ride bikes on the beach.
Palmetto Sands vacation rentals come equipped with everything you need to make you feel at home but do not include items you will need for the beach. Arrangements for any bike, beach, or baby gear rentals may be made prior to your arrival. The beach lifeguards at Shore Beach Services (843-785-3494) will rent to you chairs and umbrellas and they set them up and take them down for you daily.
We are happy to share this Hilton Head Island Beach Information with you. However, if you have additional questions or need more information, please do not hesitate to contact us. The beach is Hilton Head Island’s greatest treasure. Please do your part to keep our beaches beautiful. Have fun and enjoy the sand and surf!